Friday, April 20, 2007

Eidos Lives in Bizzaro Land ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it not that long ago that the parent company of Eidos quoted as saying that all PS3 support would be delayed until the second half of 2008 ? If my memory serves me correctly, it had to do with something about Sony's lack of a sufficient install base of PS3's in people's homes.

Now just a very short period of time later, I'm greeted with the following headline that the Chief Financial Officer of Eidos seems to think that the PS3 will trounce the competition within a year. So I must ask, if you don't mind, Mr. Murphy….. Are you high? Label me an endless skeptic, but I feel to see what makes you think that Sony is somehow mysteriously moving forward at the speed of light, while the other two are frozen in time. Yes, I have little doubt that the PS3 will continue to gain momentum over time. I just have a hard time seeing how that momentum is going to be greater than what Microsoft and Nintendo have up their sleeves. For every gain in PS3 sales, there is going to be an equal and potentially larger jump in the sales of the Wii/Xbox 360 side.

Nintendo already has a comfortable lead, and if they play their cards right ( *cough* A competent online multiplayer infrastructure and some decent third party support) for once in a long time, they will continue to enjoy that lead. And don't even get me started on my personal favorite, the Xbox 360. This console is kicking ass and taking names more and more each month.

Even without going into great detail about how great their online component is, their current and upcoming game line up is anything but anemic (Bioshock, Forza Motorpsport 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect, etc…). So I ask you once again, Mr. Murphy….what is Sony's secret weapon in which they are going to make this happen?

Oh, I got it. Your doing a little damage control to make up for Eidos's previous stance that Sony's game division was in a weak position at the moment, and not worth risking the bank on. What a big pile of poo you stepped in that time. Talk about letting the bad publicity genie out of the bottle. Silly me. And here I thought that you had some insider information that we were in some alternate universe where the PS3 was priced reasonably, and had a library of games that could go head to head with the competition. I see a lot is going to happen in the remainder of 2007.

No comments: